VEGAN GLUTEN FREE SODA BREAD
Serving: 1 medium loaf
Prep Time: 10 min + 20 min wait
Cook Time: 35 min
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
• home-made vegan buttermilk made from 350ml unsweetened plant-based milk (soya) + 20ml squeezed lemon juice
(non-vegan option: use an already pre-made shop bought dairy version)
Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan), Gas 7. Line the baking sheet with baking paper. Sift TIANA® cassava flour
, the bicarbonate of soda and sea salt into a mixing bowl, then make a little well in the middle.
2. To make the home-made buttermilk, mix the soya milk and the lemon juice in a jar or bowl until well combined. Let the mixture rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes. After this time, the milk will thicken and curdle.
3. Pour the home-made vegan buttermilk into the well and quickly mix it in with a round-blaked knife Wrong spelling blade) or your hands. Go gently here, don't overwork the dough or the finished loaf will be tough - stop mixing of the dough feels slightly sticky. If there are dry crumbs at the bottom of the bowl or the dough feels.
4. Lightly flour the workshop and your hands, then tip out the dough and knead it quickly - just 3 or 4 times. Then shape it into a slightly craggy ball.
5. Put the ball on the prepared baking sheet and dust it with flour. Cut a deep cross into the top with a sharp knife, than bake for about 35 minutes until the loaf is a good golden brown. You can test to see if the bread is cooked by tapping it on the base: it should sound hollow.
6. Cool the loaf on a wire rack, then slide and eat the same day. It will still be quite fresh the next day too, but after that it is best toasted.
• You can keep your vegan buttermilk in your fridge for about 3-4 days, but the time may vary depending on the type of milk you’re using. If it lasts longer, your buttermilk will last longer as well. Remember to give the container a shake or stir the vegan buttermilk before adding it to your recipe.
• You can replace lemon juice with white vinegar in the same proportions.