Carrot Cake Goes Coconut
22 Dec 2019
CARROT CAKE GOES COCONUT
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
• 1 ¼ cup TIANA® Fairtrade Organics Raw Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
• ¼ cup TIANA® Fairtrade Organics Raw Active Honey of your choice
• 1 scant cup TIANA® Fairtrade Organics Crystallised Raw Coconut Nectar, low glycaemic index sugar alternative
• ½ cup raisins
• 1 cup filtered water
• 2 tablespoons of flax meal with 6 tablespoons water (Mix and allow to stand for about 10 minutes)
• 4 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
• 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 cups grated carrots
• 1 cup shredded coconut
• 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
• icing sugare to decorate (optional)
1. Put the raisins and water into a small pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer while preparing cake batter or until raisins are soft and swollen.
2. Mix flax meal and water and allow to stand about 10 minutes before mixing into batter.
3. Butter and flour a 20x30 cm (9×13 inches) baking pan.
4. Beat TIANA® nectar and eggs until smooth and light (3-5 minutes with electric mixer on medium-high speed). Add flax meal and water mixture and beat well. Add TIANA® coconut oil, TIANA® raw honey, and vanilla, and beat until well blended. Add raisins with the simmering water and apple cider vinegar and mix well. (If desired, use a hand blender to puree the raisins into the mixture for a smoother cake).
5. Add TIANA® coconut flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda, and blend well. Add grated carrots, coconut, and optional nuts and blend well.
6. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and spread evenly.
7. Preheat oven to 350°C (the rest time for the batter while the oven is preheating will help with rising). Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, until toothpick in centre comes out clean and centre is as firm as the edges of the cake.