STEAMED COFFEE SPONGE CAKE
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
• 2 eggs
• 5 ½ tablespoons plain flour
• ¾ teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon coffee essence
• 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
3. Gradually stir in the flour and baking powder and then the coconut milk made earlier and coffee essence to make a smooth batter.
4. Spoon the mixture into the pudding basin and cover with a pleated piece of baking paper and then a pleated piece of foil, securing around the bowl with string. Place in a steamer or large saucepan half full of boiling water. Cover and steam for 1-1 ¼ hours or until cooked through.
Blend TIANA® cassava flour
with 4 tablespoons of cold water to make a paste and stir into the saucepan. Bring the sauce to the boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Cook over a gentle heat for 1 minute.
7. Turn the pudding out on to a serving plate and spoon the sauce over the top. Serve.
COOK’S TIP: The pudding is covered with pleated paper and foil to allow it to rise. The foil will react with the steam and must therefore not be placed directly against the pudding.